Saturday 9 April 2016

Tarot Cards


A few years ago, I happened to come across my older brother's tarot deck when I had been rooting around at my parent's house for an old book of mine that I had suddenly decided was important for me to find and re-read.

I came across the tarot cards and the search for the elusive book (whose title I can't even recall) was instantly forgotten.

I was fascinated by the intricate illustrations which adorned the cards, and I set out on a quest to discover as much as I could about tarot cards and how to read them.
Unfortunately (or not) I simply couldn't grasp the concepts, not did I feel any particular affinity with the particular deck, once the novelty had worn off.

I could simply not make sense of them.  In all honesty, I didn't fully believe that cards could predict a future which is not yet known, and most likely, I wasn't truly interested in being able to do so.
I lean more towards the concept of self-fulfilling prophecies ~ so if what the cards had predicted manifested itself, that was surely down to the fact that choices had been made which led to the outcome, which ultimately had been influenced by the reading.

I left the cards alone, and in time forgot I even had them.

Then, a few weeks ago I happened to come across the OSHO Zen Tarot.  I was instantly intrigued.  I had become interested in the late mystics concepts a few years earlier, and had read a few of Osho's books when I first ventured down the path of meditation practice and yoga.

And what a find this Tarot deck turned out to be.

Due to the Zen nature, these cards are not about predicting the future, they are focused upon the present, the here/now.

From the very first reading I did with these cards, I felt they were showing me what I was already aware of.  Each reading has made perfect sense in line with whatever my current circumstances were.

Now, of course, I am fully aware that we will see what we want to see, and in a similar way to astrology readings, things will be interpreted in numerous ways dependent upon the reader.  But for those of us whom choose to believe in the subconscious and the mystical, those things which can not really be explained by thinking about them at an intellectual level ~ this Tarot deck is a fantastic vehicle for tapping into our inner world.

In a way, they can provide reassurance and confirmation for what we may already be aware of.

With anything of this kind, I think the outcomes we experience are completely dependent upon ourselves and our interpretations ~ but for me, these Tarot cards have added a positive influence to my life, and are also providing me with plentiful things upon which to meditate.

A useful tool to deepen our understanding of ourselves.

Or simply a wonderful game to play...  Life is not as serious as we make it out to be

Peace and love

x

No comments:

Post a Comment